Due Date: Monday, October 28.
Each of you has been assigned one vocabulary word.
1. Look up that vocabulary word in the dictionary.
2. Read the dictionary definition.
3. Note the part of speech (adjective, adverb, noun, pronoun, etc.)
4. Summarize that definition into your own words. Do NOT copy the dictionary definition! That would be plagiarism…
5. After summarizing the definition in your own words, write an example sentence using that vocabulary word.
6. Please post your definition and example sentence on Ms. Nina’s Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/Ms.NinaHall.
7. Extra credit for those who upload pictures on Ms. Nina’s Facebook page that accurately portray your vocabulary word.
· Vocabulary word: Rueful
· Dictionary definition: "Expressing sorrow or regret, especially in a slightly humorous way.”
· Part of speech: Adjective
· Ms. Nina’s definition: To feel sorry about something, even when it’s a little bit funny
· Ms. Nina’s example sentence: The waiter accidentally flipped the plate of spaghetti onto Mr. Smith’s head, giving Mr. Smith a thick head of spaghetti “hair.” “I’m so sorry!” said the waiter with a rueful giggle.
Grading Rubric: This assignment is worth 15 points:
· 5 for “Liking” Ms. Nina’s Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/Ms.NinaHall
· 5 for summarizing your vocabulary word in your own words.
· 5 for writing your won example sentence.
· 5 for posting your definition and example sentence on Ms. Nina’s FB page.
· Extra credit for those who also upload a picture that accurately illustrates their vocabulary word!
Finally, with your newfound understanding of these words, read chapter 20 of The Giver.
Be sure to bring the book back on Monday!